The year-end blog: 2023 (TL;DR 8/10)

As we approach the end of 2023, I figured I'd pen down a quick annual summary of the year. I haven't written as much as I would've liked this year. This is partly because I have lesser free time now, but the main reason is that I didn't have any significantly original ideas this year. 

Every time I get an idea for a blog, I search for it and try to find articles/videos that are trying to explain the same thing. If I'm able to find something expressing the same point in a manner I like, I figure it's not worth my time to pen it down and move on. 

Since a summary of the key events of my life this past year isn't on the internet yet, I have decided to pen it down. This year has been a good one overall. I've truly felt blessed this year and have had more occasions to count my blessings than to rue my crosses to bear. 

Success and Failure

I attempted CFA level 1 this year and cleared it. I also attempted the UK's driving test this spring and failed literally (and I mean literally) at the last turn. I ended up doing a major test fault at the last turn before the end of the test. 

Memorable Trips albeit 1

I ended up going on some amazing trips this year. I tried surfing for the first time, explored the Bahamas and had a few weekend excursions within the UK. I went back to some of the familiar places as well - Barcelona & Malaga in Spain, and Vienna. I continued exploring parts of the UK other than London - a day trip to Oxford, a weekend in Bristol and Bath, and a hike in the Surrey hills area. 

On the other hand, I also had a trip that I'd love to forget. This is a PSA from me - Do NOT visit Naples. If you're planning to visit Italy, just skip that part and do literally anything and everything else in that country. 

Some performances to remember

This was the year of going for live events for me. The highlights (in chronological order): 

  1. Mamma Mia musical
  2. Cricket: England vs New Zealand at Lord's
  3. Vienna Open Quarter Finals
  4. Trevor Noah live at the O2 Arena
  5. Biswa Kalyan Rath at Soho Theatre

I went to Mamma Mia with my parents when they visited me in London this year. If you haven't been, make sure to go for it. I would put going for a musical as one of the top 5 experiences that London has to offer as a city. I have no words that can do justice to it. It was beautiful. 

Due to India losing the final of the Cricket World Cup, I won't be discussing the cricket part mentioned above. I'm still recovering from it. 

Trevor Noah was iconic, as expected. Getting an opportunity to watch him live was an absolute dream come true for me, and he was just brilliant. The Vienna Open has to be one of the underrated tournaments of the Tennis season. It's an ATP 500 level event, which means that it gets some really good top 20 Men's players, in a really charming city, and it's well organized beyond words. 

I watched for the quarter-finals and got a show worth every penny that I paid. 3 extremely close matches (Rublev vs Zverev, Medvedev vs Khachanov & Tsitsipas vs Gojo). The last match was Sinner, against Tiafoe. It was a deja-vu moment for me, as I had seen the very same match play out in the Semi-finals in 2021, at the very same event. Taifoe managed to get the better of Sinner back then, but Sinner was up to the task this time and won it in straight sets. 

Biswa is there just because it was nice to watch an Indian comedian perform at a walking distance from my office. Getting out of the office after a long day and walking to the pub to listen to a funny nerd is something I wish could happen more often in my life. 

2024 Vision

Here's the list of some items already planned for 2024 under the same categories.

Success and Failure

  1. Second attempt at UK Driving Test (January) - I failed here already
  2. CFA Level 2 (May)
  3. Third attempt at UK Driving Test (June)

Travel

  1. Mexico (March)
  2. Post-CFA Level 2 Trip (June)
  3. End of Summer Trip (August)
  4. France (September)
  5. Parts of the UK on my 2024 TO-DO list:
    1. Peak and Lake District
    2. York
    3. Wales
    4. Liverpool (hopefully for a LFC game)

Live Events

  1. Anirban Dasgupta (January)
  2. Chelsea Women FC vs Real Madrid Women FC (January)
  3. Hamilton Musical (January) & Tina Turner at some point during the year
  4. John Mayer (March)
  5. Tennis (depending on availability): US Open or 1 ATP & 1 WTA event
  6. Watch Liverpool play live (if possible)

Comments

Popular Posts